As a homeowner, you’re always looking for ways to maximize your home’s return on investment (ROI). However, making a profit on your home sometimes requires an investment of your own — by making your house even better than it already is. As the old adage goes, you’ve got to spend money to make money. One way to do this is by installing garage door insulation.
As energy costs continue to rise, more and more homeowners are searching for ways to cut these costs and make their homes more energy-efficient. We install new windows, update our HVAC systems and add eco-friendly features to our dwellings. But one area that’s often overlooked is the garage. Insulating your garage door not only makes it a more comfortable environment, but it also can boost your home’s ROI.
The Benefits of Garage Door Insulation
The garage is often looked at as a separate entity from the rest of your home. This window-less room seems disconnected, but that’s actually not true. In many ways, the garage is a giant window. Even when closed, freezing temperatures and scorching heat make their way indoors through this space. These extreme temperatures seep into your home.
Even if the rest of your home is completely insulated, a lack of insulation in your garage negates its effects. Garage door insulation means that your HVAC system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep the heat or AC pumping. And in the long run, investing in garage door insulation is a decision that pays for itself by increasing your home’s overall ROI.
Besides saving on energy costs, there are many advantages for homeowners who install garage door insulation:
- Added Durability: Insulated garage doors are constructed differently than those with a single layer, making them stronger and less likely to be dented or damaged.
- Quieter: Having garage doors with insulation allows the garage to be a quieter environment. Additionally, lightweight doors tend to make more noise when opening and closing. Insulation can dampen these sounds so that your garage door creates less noise pollution.
- Protects Cars and Other Belongings: When the garage is at the mercy of outdoor temperatures, that means anything you store there is also subject to the effects of extreme heat and cold. Insulation ensures your car and other belongings remain safe.
- Utilize Your Garage Any Time of Year: Who wants to wander into the garage when it’s freezing or boiling hot? An insulated garage door creates a comfortable environment where you can work on personal projects any time of year.
Different Types of Garage Door Insulation
The type of garage door insulation you get will impact how much of an ROI you get on your investment. There are basically two options to insulate your garage door:
- Purchase a new insulated garage door
- Install insulation in your preexisting garage door
New garage doors are the easier option. Most garage doors you can purchase today already have insulation. They are thicker and warmer, and you don’t have to worry about hiring someone to install insulation or doing it yourself. Older garage doors are made from materials less conducive to adding insulation and are usually thinner. However, adding insulation to older doors is better than having no insulation at all. Even if the end result might not be as effective as a brand-new, professionally-insulated door, it could save you some dollars off your energy bill.
Determining the ROI After Insulating Your Garage Door
Unfortunately, there is no accurate way to predict how much value an insulated garage door will add to your home’s ROI. The main difference you will probably notice is a lowered energy bill. But the biggest return comes when you decide to sell your house. Homes with renovated garages and new garage doors tend to sell for more than those with outdated garage doors.
Whether it’s for their cars or storage, most homeowners are looking for a garage. And one that is properly maintained and upgraded will improve your home’s curb appeal, bringing up the ROI. Although new insulated garage doors are an investment, adding this feature to your home will definitely see a return.
Contact DistribuDoors for Information on a New Insulated Garage Door
If it’s time to replace your garage door, contact the team at DistribuDoors. Not only will we guide you through the selection process, but we can also give you all the information you need to find the perfect insulated garage door that matches your home’s distinctive style. Call us at 206-443-1640 today. We’re here to answer all your questions and provide you with the best customer service in the Seattle area.