Updated: July 10th, 2019
Things to Know in This Article:
- What is a jackshaft garage door opener?
- How does a jackShaft opener work?
- Benefits of a jackshaft opener
When you find yourself choosing the different components of your garage door, you’ll eventually come to one of the biggest choices: the opener. With several popular and effective options on the market, you need to consider the pros and cons of each one before you decide on the right opener to fit your door, garage and preferences.
An increasingly popular option available now is the residential jackshaft garage door opener, which offers several benefits worth exploring.
A jackshaft opener is a wall-mounted garage door opener that is installed to the side of a garage door instead of overhead. The jackshaft garage door opener connects tube where the garage door springs attach. Since Jackshaft openers free up overhead space in garages they are ideal opener solutions for garages with high ceilings, angles ceilings, and when you want extra storage space above your garage door.
How Does a Jackshaft Opener Work?
What sets the jackshaft opener — sometimes called a “wall mount garage door opener” — apart from the other options is that it mounts to the left or right of the garage door and connects to the door’s torsion bar to move it up and down. This is instead of an overhead track and rail system. The opener connects to the shaft where the springs are installed. It works perfectly for full vertical-lift, standard-lift and high-lift doors. You’ll need to have an electrical outlet within six feet of the opener.
The residential jackshaft garage door opener works on large doors up to 14 feet high or 180 total square feet. Compared to trolley openers, it has a similar installation process, operational capacity, lifespan, long-term performance and warranty. It usually costs 25 to 30 percent more than other common garage door openers like belt drive and chain drive openers, but a number of benefits accompany the investment.
What Are the Benefits of a Jackshaft Garage Door Opener?
Here are the benefits of a jackshaft garage door opener:
- Maximized storage space: Many people choose to store their bikes, kayaks, canoes and other large items in the ceiling space that a rail system would take up with belt and chain drive openers. Instead, residential jackshaft openers create that storage space. They also work for residential high-lift doors and remove the need for a false panel.
- Quiet operation: If your garage is near bedrooms or other living units, the jackshaft is an ideal choice because of its silent action.
- High usability in irregular garages: Garages with cathedral ceilings and small depth are much better suited to jackshaft openers. The trolley systems that use rails require at least 48 inches of clearance above the garage door, which many homes don’t have. If your garage has pipes or boilers positioned near the ceiling, there’s a chance these items will blook the area a traditional opener requires, making the jackshaft opener the ideal choice.
- Increased safety assurance: Instead of having a motor unit hanging above your car for years, it can be safely off to the side of the door and not hanging over anything. The jackshaft opener can also be manually operated, which makes it safer in emergency situations. Several security options are available in some models, like the LiftMasterTM 8500, including safety reversal systems, safety sensors and rolling code technology. You can choose a remotely operated 200-watt light for convenience as well.
- Customization: Some of the best residential jackshaft openers on the market today come with a variety of customizable qualities. Some models can be operated remotely with a computer, smartphone or tablet, and many come with an optional battery backup and a power system that operates without electricity. If your home has a power outage, the opener will still function.
At DistribuDoors, we train and certify our employees ourselves after proper background checks to ensure you get the quality service often missing in subcontractors. Top-notch products and services are our number-one priority no matter what garage door opener or other products you choose.
Contact one of our experienced professionals to learn more about our residential jackshaft openers!