Garage door insulation provides a variety of benefits for homeowners. Insulation in two-layer and three-layer doors creates an extra barrier, helping reduce noise, increase durability and improve energy efficiency. Depending on the garage door brand and design, insulation is typically made of polyurethane or polystyrene material, which are both safe and environmentally friendly.
Garage door construction plays a significant role in the safety and comfort of your home. Your garage door is one of the main entrances to your house and acts as a temperature and weather barrier, so proper insulation is crucial for keeping warm air in and cold air out. Here’s an overview of the benefits of different types of garage door insulation.
Types of Garage Door Layers
Garage doors are typically available in three layered varieties: one-layer, two-layer and three-layer. Attached to the garage door’s base panel, insulation improves your garage door’s weather resistance along with other significant benefits. Here’s how insulation works with the following garage door types:
- One-layer: Includes a base panel with no insulation. Usually made of steel material, the base panel itself is the only barrier between your garage and the outside elements.
- Two-layer: Features a base panel plus a layer of insulation. The insulation layer is secured to the interior of the door by steel backings. This type of door has a substantially higher R-value than its one-layer counterpart.
- Three-layer: Has the highest R-value of the three types and features a thick layer of insulation between two layers of steel. This configuration creates an extremely durable and energy-efficient garage door system.
Top Three Benefits of Insulation
Insulation increases your garage door’s overall value and offers many benefits for your home. Here are three reasons why we recommend insulated garage doors for every home:
- Energy Efficiency: Since insulation provides a temperature-absorbing barrier between the outdoors and your home, it can help you save on energy costs in the long run, especially in the winter. Insulated garage doors increase your home’s energy efficiency by minimizing the amount of heat that can escape.
- Durability and Stability: The more layers to your garage door, the more stable and durable the construction. Another major benefit of insulation is improving a garage door’s durability by increasing the R-value and reducing the potential for reverberation in case your door is hit with a heavy object.
- Sound Dampening: Another benefit of insulation is the sound dampening factor. Because insulation absorbs vibrations such as sound waves, it reduces unwanted outside noises and keeps your home quiet and peaceful.
Choose DistribuDoors for High-Quality Insulated Garage Doors
Investing in high-quality insulation for your garage doors can potentially save you thousands of dollars in the long term. If you’re building a home or looking to replace your garage door, upgrade to one of DistribuDoors’ two-layer or three-layer garage door systems from Clopay®. Contact us today for a free site check and estimate and learn more about how we can serve your home in the greater Puget Sound area.