5 Tips for Garage Door Security
Your garage door is an important and convenient feature of your home, and it’s crucial to remember that your garage door also serves as a point of entry. In fact, thieves may see your garage door as the easiest access point, as most people tend to ignore garage door security — windows and doors are areas that are much more likely for a homeowner to reinforce.
Have you been giving enough thought to garage door theft protection? If you haven’t, you may want to consider these simple garage door security tips:
1. Avoid Leaving the Garage Door Remote in the Car
This seems like an easy one, and it is, but too few people ignore this idea. Keeping your remote in your car is fine while your car is in your garage, but the first time you decide to leave it parked in the driveway, a thief has an ideal opportunity gain access to your home by simply breaking your car window.
Even if you never park in the driveway, thieves may follow you to local locations where you may park your car and steal the remote there. Take the remote with you.
2. Secure the Garage Door Emergency Release
There is an emergency release lever near the front of your garage door that will allow you to open the door in case of an emergency. While this is a convenient safety feature, many people may not realize that an enterprising thief can slip a coat hanger under the door, catch the release lever and pull it to open the door from the outside.
Loop a zip tie around the lever to prevent someone from being able to trip it from the outside.
3. Don’t Leave Your Garage Door Open
This may seem like an obvious one as well, but it’s important to keep in mind that it doesn’t take long for a thief to slip into your garage. Do not leave the garage door open and unattended, and close the door promptly after you enter.
4. Use Frosted Glass for Garage Windows
If you are looking to purchase a new garage door, you can get one with custom privacy class. However, if you aren’t ready to replace your garage door, you can buy various sprays or films to put on the windows and prevent potential thieves from peering inside.
5. Don’t Neglect Door Maintenance
It’s important that you take care of your garage door. Have a professional conduct annual or semi-annual maintenance. They’ll make sure all your parts are in good shape, that there is no debris interfering with the proper operation of your system and that everything is working correctly. This can extend the life of your door — and make it less likely a thief can exploit any weaknesses in your door and break in.
Choose DistribuDoors for Your Seattle Area Garage Doors
If you need garage door maintenance, repair or a new door with customized glass in the Seattle area, trust DistribuDoors. You will find a wide selection of quality Clopay® garage doors, along with professionals who have the experience to service doors of all brands.
We also offer state-of-the-art LiftMaster® garage door openers with Security 2.0+, which includes a rolling code lock system to make it nearly impossible for thieves to hack your garage door.
These garage door openers also include Smart technology that allows you to open and close the door remotely through an app on your phone, automate the opening and closing of the door and alert you when the door is being used for even greater security. Contact us for all the details or for an estimate on service today.
Common Signs of a Broken Garage Door Spring
The spring on your garage door plays a crucial role in the door’s functionality and your safety. Every spring in existence wears out eventually, which means you need to be aware of the signs that one has snapped or stopped working. It’s difficult to catch when a spring has broken because the signs can be far less obvious than with other damaged garage door parts.
Check for the following signs regularly to save money and keep your home safe.
Do I Need Annual Maintenance for My Garage Door?
Garage doors accumulate wear and tear over the years, as most people open and close them several times a day. Just like any other part of the home, they will age and require maintenance over time. These doors are large, expensive pieces of equipment with several moving parts, and yet they’re one of the most neglected household appliances.
Leading experts make it clear that annual garage door maintenance services can provide anybody with a variety of benefits.
What Happens During an Annual Maintenance Checkup?
The maintenance checkup starts with an inspection. An experienced professional will check for any damage or issues you may have missed during your quick weekly inspections. They look for debris along the tracks, scratches, and dings along the door, rust on any of the parts, or any other wear or damage on the door, springs, bearings, cables, rollers, hinges or other hardware.
If the tracks need realignment or adjustments, it’ll happen during your annual maintenance. Your garage door opener will be inspected and the expert will check your door’s balance to make sure the springs and other parts work properly. Any parts that need repair or replacement can be ordered and taken care of to prevent more serious issues in the future. Then, every part that needs lubrication will receive the proper care to keep your garage door running smoothly for another year.
Problems Prevented With Regular Maintenance:
- Wasted money: In the long run, you can save a lot of money by opting into annual garage door maintenance services. If you let your garage door go without inspections and care, small and inexpensive issues can easily become much bigger problems that potentially force you to replace the entire system down the line. Garage door lifespans increase with annual maintenance since rust, deterioration and wear and tear can be significantly reduced.
- Unsafe home: Garage doors cause thousands of injuries every year. They have many components, some of which can quickly become sharp or otherwise dangerous when broken. The doors are also heavy, and if a part becomes damaged or worn out, they can come crashing down unexpectedly on whoever or whatever is nearby.
- Unwanted noise: When parts are worn out or damaged, garage doors often start making loud noises that can come from any one of the parts. With proper lubrication and maintenance, the system will stay quiet so you don’t have to worry about waking or bothering people in or around your household.
- Seasonal stress: It’s easy to schedule your annual garage door maintenance during temperate seasons so you don’t have to deal with the possibility of being stuck outside on extremely hot or cold days with a faulty door to blame.
Call DistribuDoors for Your Scheduled Annual Maintenance Service
It’s important that you find professionals you trust to complete your annual garage door maintenance services. At DistribuDoors, instead of subcontractors, we use trained and certified employees with cleared background checks. You can be confident that we’ll complete your inspection and maintenance right, on-time and at an affordable rate.
Keep your garage door running smoothly all year long. Contact us to schedule your annual appointment!